What the item is: Late Edwardian Corset (1910s)
The Challenge: # 12 – Shape and Support
Fabric: Cotton coutil, Silk ribbon and vintage cotton lace.
Pattern: Nehelenia 1910 Corset Pattern
Notions: Polyester thread
How historically accurate is it? Quiet fair. The Pattern is based on a extant corset from the 1910s. I have only used period appropriate techniques. But my polyester thread is the game killer. So about 90 %
Hours to complete: SO MANY! But to be fair: About 3 hours of cutting, 4 hours of fitting and 10 hours of sewing. So all together about 17 hours in all.
First worn: Only for photos. But I am planning a 1915-16s suit
Total cost: ca. $ 110 USD
I must say. I really like this pattern. It is easy to sew and fit. It is so different from an victorian corset. Not tight at all! Fells like getting a big hug.
This year I really hoped that I could limit myself to one or two projects at a time. However, that was not going to happen!
Right now, I am in the middle of a series of unfinished projects that does not feel that fun right now.
1940 – Grandmas heart open heart sweater
This one have I been working on for some time now. I started back in late January. So far, I’ve knitted the back, two fronts and half a sleeve. I am almost there. Only a couple of movies away from a finished sweater. Nevertheless, the spring and summer has come and my need for knitting have disappeared. I call this my grandma sweater because the pattern is from an old magazine she bought back in 1940. My mom informed me after starting the project that my grandmother also had made this sweater. So exiting. I would love to finish soon a show my grandfather (now 94 years old) it.
1899 – Sophies Jacket
I bought the pattern for this jacket back in January from Lauren at Wearing History. I had some wool fabric in my stash, so the only thing I needed was to get starting. I made the mockup a while ago, and put the project away for ones that are more urgent. However, one day I just fell like sewing this jacket, and started. I am now finished with the main construction. All I need is to make buttonholes, fasten some lining and decorate it with trims. I am half way through this project and hope to finish soon.
See Pattern here
1915 – Suit a long
Lauren at Wearing History have made a sew-along for a 1915s suit. You can follow this on Facebook. I am participating in this. I bought the fabric, printed the pattern and found my inspiration. All I need is time to start making it… and a 1910’s corset. Oh my!
See pattern here
1870’s – Bustle dress
I have also joined a paid class with Jenifer from Historical sewing. This is quite stupid, because it is in my exam period, which starts in a few days. But the patterns a bought. The fabric samples coming and the inspiration for dress is there. I NEED TIME!