The Challenge: #20 Alternative Universe
What is it? A Harry Potter inspired Prom dress
Fabric: Poly fabric. All is synthetic. The leafs is made from fabric (store bought)
Pattern: Selfdrafted with inspiration from Angela Clayton.
Inspiration: Elizabethan/Tudor stays. Harry Potter universe. Autumn.
Notions: I was inspired by the Elizabethan/Tudor stays, and build my upper part of the dress like them
How historically accurate is it? Nothing close to!
Hours to complete: 30 hours
First worn: This will be used as my Prom dress for a Harry Potter Larp in Poland.
Total cost: About 90 US$
Hopefully I will be able to post this dress in action by the end of November.
What the item is: Late Edwardian Corset (1910s)
The Challenge: # 12 – Shape and Support
Fabric: Cotton coutil, Silk ribbon and vintage cotton lace.
Pattern: Nehelenia 1910 Corset Pattern
Notions: Polyester thread
How historically accurate is it? Quiet fair. The Pattern is based on a extant corset from the 1910s. I have only used period appropriate techniques. But my polyester thread is the game killer. So about 90 %
Hours to complete: SO MANY! But to be fair: About 3 hours of cutting, 4 hours of fitting and 10 hours of sewing. So all together about 17 hours in all.
First worn: Only for photos. But I am planning a 1915-16s suit
Total cost: ca. $ 110 USD
I must say. I really like this pattern. It is easy to sew and fit. It is so different from an victorian corset. Not tight at all! Fells like getting a big hug.
So… 2014 have come around and hopefully i’ll make more this year than last one. I planning to be a part of the HSF’14 and hopes to complete all. I do not think I will do so. But a dream is a dream. The themes is so fare:
#1 – Make do and Mend
For this challenge am I planning some 1940 kickers and underwear. I have been wanting to do WW2 reenactment for a long time, and finally have I found a group there also uses us women for more than cooking and nursing. In Denmarks Danforce Brigade we learned to use rifles, machineguns and grenades. So I will be doing a lot of 1940 thing this year!
Here is the pattern I will be using. It is from www.veravenus.com
#2 – Innovations
I have been giving this challenge a lot of thought. But do not know what to make! Give me some ideas!
#3 – Pink
For this will I sew a pink 1940 bra. I have wanted to use a pattern from Jill Salens book “Vintage Lingerie” for a long time now. Now is the chance!
#4 – Under it all
Another pattern from Jill Salens boom will be used for this one. No girl in the 1940s could live without a suspenderbelt. And it is also going to be pink!
#5 – Bodice
For my new 1940 uniform I need a jacket. I have already found a pattern which will only need a few adjustments.
#6 – Fairytales
I would love to make something related to the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen. But I do not know what in this moment. I need inspiration.
#7 – Tops and Toes
In this challenge will I modify a Chinese parasol to become an 18th century parasol. It is so exiting. First time trying this and the first time making something from this era.
But for my 1940 Lotte uniform will I also need a shirt, a hat and skirt. So much to do!
I would also love to make a 18th century wardrobe, and especially a stay.
I have created the most ugly reticule ever! I am so unhappy with it. But now it’s finished. Started working on it last spring. Found it again tonight while cleaning, just to realize I only need stitch on a braid. I believe it is never to be used for reenactment. But perhaps it can be used for storage. At least I got some new knowledge from this project.
Finally i found time to make some of the things I love the most. Sewing..
Remember that hat from H&M? I’ts finished now!
I decorated it with a feather, velvet fabric and a beaded flower. I absolutely love it! Hopefully it will fit together with the planned flapper dress.
This was also a part of the Historical Sew Fortnightly – Challenge #9 – Flora and Fauna
I’ve just said yes to be a part of a historical sewing challenge. I don’t think i’m getting to much done and need some inspiration to my projects.
The communities is called The Historical Sewing Fortnightly and can be found on facebook. Just follow my link.
The first Challenge I’ve enrolled myself in is the so called Squares, Rectangles and triangles.
So I sad down and thought. Looked in my old costume guide. And then it came to me. A flapper dress! I haven’t done any costumes from the modern period yet and this was my change to finally do so. I have a bunch of pale yellow chiffon fabric laying around and a pattern for the chemise to go under. I can fell this. So good!
I’s going to fell good to have my Toyota sewing machine up running again.
Here is some of photos for inspiration:
For more inspiration photos check my Pinterest board for this: HERE
I just finished up my Brigitta coif tutorial. This I wanted to do for months, but my studying wouldn’t allow me that. Finally I can rest and post this out to you guys. Hopefully it works. I know their is a lack of pictures. Hopefulle this will be changed when I have the time to make another coif.
I would love to hear your meaning! Please let me know if i could do anything better.
Brigitta Coif Tutroial
It can also be found in the tutorial section.