The Challenge: #20 Alternative Universe
What is it? A Harry Potter inspired Prom dress
Fabric: Poly fabric. All is synthetic. The leafs is made from fabric (store bought)
Pattern: Selfdrafted with inspiration from Angela Clayton.
Inspiration: Elizabethan/Tudor stays. Harry Potter universe. Autumn.
Notions: I was inspired by the Elizabethan/Tudor stays, and build my upper part of the dress like them
How historically accurate is it? Nothing close to!
Hours to complete: 30 hours
First worn: This will be used as my Prom dress for a Harry Potter Larp in Poland.
Total cost: About 90 US$
Hopefully I will be able to post this dress in action by the end of November.
Most of August and September was spend in our capital Copenhagen. Here I was a part of a big TV production, Klar Parat Sy! Inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee. I was one of the 10 final participans. This Thursday the second show was on TV.
In this episode we had a challenge which we could prepare from home. The challenge was to make a wrap-dress. I made a different kind of wrap-dress, inspired by the 1930s.
My pattern was home draftet, inspired by this photo
The final result in the TV show was this:
More information about the show can be found here: (in danish):
The Challenge: Yellow
What is it? A medieval needlecase
Fabric: Embroided on wool, lined with linen and embroided with silk and cotton
Pattern: Selfdrafted with inspiration from archaeological finds and a pattern from Medieval Silkwork.
Year: 13th & 14th century Medieval
Notions: I chose to use cotton thread in some of the colours. Yellow and Green. Mostly because I couldn’t get it in silk and I really wanted to get started.
How historically accurate is it? Apart from the cotton, and the lack of find of fabric needle cases from the medieval period, I guess it pretty close and it is completely done by hand. I would say 60 %.
Hours to complete: 12 hours
First worn: I need to collect some medieval sewing gear before this can be used.
Total cost: About $10 USD
More information on brick stiches:
Medieval Arts and Crafts
More about brick stitches
The Challenge: Terminology
What is it? A needlebinded pair of socks
Fabric: 100 % organic wool, from norway – Sandes Garn
Pattern: Selfdrafted with inspiration from archaeological finds.
Year: Viking age and early medieval Scandinavia.
Notions: Made with a custom made bone needle.
How historically accurate is it? This is very accurate. There is a lot of finds from Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia. If I should make this more accurate I would need to find some hand dyed wool.
Hours to complete: 5 hours
First worn: Right now! This is the best socks to keep your cold feet warm!
Total cost: About $10 USD
How old the history of needlebinding goes back, I am not sure of. But it seems to be a part of the Scandinavian culture a long time before the start of the viking age.
I do not know where this picture is from. But i need to share it so you can get an idea of which model I am making, B.
This sock was found in Uppsala 1961, but is dated to early medieval time: read more here
Wanna learn more? Here is a german blog, where you can learn most of the basics. I must say I am a fan 🙂
Mellegren, Nusse: Nålbinding – The easiest, clearest ever guide, 2008.
Hald, M.: Olddanske tekstiler (Ancient Danish Textiles from bogs and burials), 1950.
The Challenge: Under $10
What is it? A 1940s inspired dress from children’s fashion.
Fabric: Cotton-linen Tablecloth from the 1960s
Pattern: Half Burda 7494 and self drafted.
Notions: This dress is inspired by the 1940s children dresses. The Peter Pan collar especially. The techniques are time appropriate, but this dress would never have been worn by any in the 1940s. So it is much more just an inspired piece. One sad part is that i have made it a bit to large. Might end giving it away.
How historically accurate is it? Not very much. It is just inspired by the 1940s children fashion.
Hours to complete: 6 hours
First worn: Not yet.
Total cost: $0 USD- got an old tablecloth from my mother. The zipper cost me $6 USD.
This is some of the pictures I found for inspiration
Dorothy form The Wizard of Oz (1939).
What the item is: Late Edwardian Corset (1910s)
The Challenge: # 12 – Shape and Support
Fabric: Cotton coutil, Silk ribbon and vintage cotton lace.
Pattern: Nehelenia 1910 Corset Pattern
Notions: Polyester thread
How historically accurate is it? Quiet fair. The Pattern is based on a extant corset from the 1910s. I have only used period appropriate techniques. But my polyester thread is the game killer. So about 90 %
Hours to complete: SO MANY! But to be fair: About 3 hours of cutting, 4 hours of fitting and 10 hours of sewing. So all together about 17 hours in all.
First worn: Only for photos. But I am planning a 1915-16s suit
Total cost: ca. $ 110 USD
I must say. I really like this pattern. It is easy to sew and fit. It is so different from an victorian corset. Not tight at all! Fells like getting a big hug.
The Challenge: HSF#2/2014 – Innovations
Fabric: Pure white Cotton
Pattern: TV108 – Grand Bustle
Notions: Plastic covered boning
How historically accurate is it? As far as methode it is very accurate. Didn’t serge the ends mechanically and finished all the details in hand. Such a ruffles .. Oh them ruffles!
Hours to complete: Approximately 12 hours
First worn: Today. Do not know for what Event I will wear this yet.
Total cost: Stash and 30 dollars worth of cotton.
The theme for this challenge was innovations. I wanted to use minimum 2 innovations in this challenge. The first is the introduction of the sewing machine into private households. The Victorian era, with its massive expansion in industry and technology proved to be the fertile ground from which the sewing machine grew (source). The other innovation is more like a reinvention. The Bustle. This was a further development of the crinoline of the 1850’s and the farthingale from the renaissance (which has a long history I will share with you later!).