HSF #11/2014 – The Politics of Fashion

 

1392615_10152411992201772_3987254550832324739_n

What is it? Shirtwaist dress
The Challenge: 11 – The Politics of Fashion
Fabric: 100 % Cotton
Pattern: Butterick 2531 (1943)
Year: 1943
Notions: Earlier this year I announced, I was joining up in a Danish WW2 group. This is why i made this dress. The other reason why I wanted this dress is how much I love the clothing of the rural people of all time. So many people is focusing on the middle and upper class in most reenactment societies. One of the reason is that it is more fun to dress up pretty, than dressing down. But in my heart, there is a special place for all those simple folks.
What makes this political? WW2 was a big deal in Europe. So many people suffered in so many ways. I started planning this dress back in January. I knew I wanted it so be as accurate as possible. So I sat down and started thinking. Back in the 40’s people in most of Europe was in short of everything. So i chose to cut my pattern asymmetrical in the skirt, to cut down of fabric use. I wanted this dress to get that feeling. And people loved it at the event. Asked where I bought and telling me how authentic I looked. Just like themselves back ten or their mothers.
How historically accurate is it? Very close!
Hours to complete: 10 hours
First worn: March 24th at a WW2 event called Bunker By Night : link
Total cost: c. 45 $

DSC03952

 

il_570xN.387046547_4hzr

 

 

DSC03956

DSC04650

DSC04655

10256908_10203997529003497_1714040597706792062_n

10322815_10152411992826772_8418326611860290860_n

 

 

HSF #1/2014 – Make do & Mend

For this HSF challenge I wanted to do something in the spirit of my Grandfathers role as a resistance man during WW2 in Denmark. In an earlier post I mentioned that I have started to re-enact WW2. So this is also why I needed a wardrobe for these events.

HSF#1/2014 first theme was Make do & Mend. Since I had nothing to mend I did a Make do.

The Challenge:
HSF #1/2014 – Make do and Mend

Fabric:
Black Rayon

Pattern: 
The pattern is made by www.veravenus.com and can be found here.

Year:
1930s/1940s

Notions:
Used cotton tread. Cotton lace.

How historically accurate is it? 
I would say about 99,99%. I ave used the right fabric and period technics to make these.

Hours to complete: 
6 Hours

First worn:
Haven’t worn it for an event yet.

Total cost: 
It was all from stash. Except the closing that cost around 2 $

 

DSC03983

Side

DSC03993

Side half front

Some free pattern tips

Hi community!
After a long summer holiday, i’m ready to start at University in August for my second year at Medieval- and Renaissancearchaeology.  I’ve seen a lot of things this summer. I went to Ireland for 7 days. WOW! What a scenery and amazing people.

I have some tips to share with you. I have noticed that some museum websites share patterns for some of the gowns they have in their exhibitions. The Danish National Museum does.

Here is an example.

kinesisk-inspireret-dragt

Pattern

You can find all the information for this dress HERE

Even though it was Danish, I still hope this was helpful. It’s good to be back!