The Challenge: Yellow
What is it? A medieval needlecase
Fabric: Embroided on wool, lined with linen and embroided with silk and cotton
Pattern: Selfdrafted with inspiration from archaeological finds and a pattern from Medieval Silkwork.
Year: 13th & 14th century Medieval
Notions: I chose to use cotton thread in some of the colours. Yellow and Green. Mostly because I couldn’t get it in silk and I really wanted to get started.
How historically accurate is it? Apart from the cotton, and the lack of find of fabric needle cases from the medieval period, I guess it pretty close and it is completely done by hand. I would say 60 %.
Hours to complete: 12 hours
First worn: I need to collect some medieval sewing gear before this can be used.
Total cost: About $10 USD
More information on brick stiches:
Medieval Arts and Crafts
More about brick stitches
The Sct. Brigitta pattern has been found, and tested. So I will start on the real one tomorrow. Here is some pictures of the finished sample. Hope you enjoy. Hopefully will I be able to post a Tutorial on the Sct. Brigitta Pattern soon. 😀
Hmm.. okay. My sample of the brigitta cap didn’t go that well. It was to small, and i couldn’t seem to tie it the right way. Thank god I didn’t you the expensive fabric!
Oh yeah! I also got my fabric. The wool is not what I imagine, but I can use it for a cape instead.
I will make this cap/bonnet as the piece I will pin the headscarf to.
There is an Danish article here
Here is my patterns from the book “nordbomønstre”. I am going to change them a little so I can have a long sleeve and pro haps a little tighter.
When you print them about you just scale them up to 500 % and print it as a poster. Enjoy!
I just bought the fabric I will use for my Nun Project. I have decided to be a Novice – this means I’m going through the admission process to be a Nun. Thought it would fit better with my age. Most nuns went through a years long Novice training. So will be wearing a white Vail.
I can’t wait to show you guys the fabric!