What the item is: Late Edwardian Corset (1910s)
The Challenge: # 12 – Shape and Support
Fabric: Cotton coutil, Silk ribbon and vintage cotton lace.
Pattern: Nehelenia 1910 Corset Pattern
Notions: Polyester thread
How historically accurate is it? Quiet fair. The Pattern is based on a extant corset from the 1910s. I have only used period appropriate techniques. But my polyester thread is the game killer. So about 90 %
Hours to complete: SO MANY! But to be fair: About 3 hours of cutting, 4 hours of fitting and 10 hours of sewing. So all together about 17 hours in all.
First worn: Only for photos. But I am planning a 1915-16s suit
Total cost: ca. $ 110 USD
I must say. I really like this pattern. It is easy to sew and fit. It is so different from an victorian corset. Not tight at all! Fells like getting a big hug.
My TV110 corset is finished.
I think it turned out great! On to the next project!
So I’ve decided it was time for a true Victorian corset. Therefore I joined an online corset-class from Historical Sewing. made by the sweet Jennifer Stukas Rosburgh.
We are using the Truly Victorian Pattern TV110.
So far I’ve made a mockup. A note to you people out there. If you want so sew a corset. Always, always, always measure twice to ensure you are using the right size. I could have spared so much time. Do support your mockup with some kind of boning, this will help you know how well it fits you!
Some pics of the progress so far! Yes I am wearing a bra underneath. This is because the bust are to big and need fitting. I’m not gonna let my girls fall!
Here is a great guide on how to build your own corset pattern. Hopefully you can use it. I will try it myself when i find the time. Enjoy!
Corset Pattern Guide